Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cheltenham Literature Festival

The Cheltenham Literature Festival is, according to its website, one of the greatest literary events in the world.  I went to seven of the events. Although I started writing detailed descriptions of the stuff discussed at each event, I realized it would take a long time to type up my notes and many people would find it boring to read, anyway. If you'd like to know about a specific event, send me and email or comment and I'll gladly oblige.

Overall, I was ecstatic to be able to be involved. I wish I could come every year! The events go on for two weeks, and the festival features notable people in literature, art, film, and science.

After each author's name, I've included their most recent work. In parentheses, I have added the book I've read by that author already. Sorry about the blurriness of most of the indoor photos- I kept my flash off to avoid being rude.






AS BYATT, The Children's Book (I read Possession)






PHILIP PULLMAN, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ (I read The Golden Compass and The Ruby in the Smoke)


Photo taken by Amanda Blank


DAVID ALMOND, My Name is Mina (I read Skellig)
& GERALDINE MCCAUGHREAN, Pull Out All the Stops!







CELIA REES, The Fool's Girl (I read Pirates!)
 & MARY HOOPER, Fallen Grace






AUDREY NIFFENEGGER, The Night Bookmobile (I read The Time Traveler's Wife and started Her Fearful Symmetry)





HIGHGATE CEMETERY 
with Audrey Niffenegger and Catherine Arnold




SIMON PEGG, Nerd Do Well (I watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz)




4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh man, I bet you felt like you were in heaven! hehe... That looks ike it would be pretty neat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, Renee, I did feel like I was in heaven! English Major heaven! Oooh la la.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very interesting! Maybe you and Danielle should go some time together in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle:

    Yes, it was! Celia Rees creates a scrapbook as she writes, as if she has gone to those places and has taken pictures of them.

    Mary Hooper had her whole book written on post-it notes and she said she just kind of moves them around on a board.

    Sometime I'll show you the pictures Audrey Niffenegger had of how she wrote and illustrated The Night Bookmobile. How the characters looked was based on actual friends of hers. So she went to places and took pictures of her friends exactly how and where she wanted them. Then she made illustrations that looked identical to those pictures.

    ReplyDelete

comment: